An Irish Confession
In a small Irish catholic parish, young Jimmy Mc Shane had to go to Confession. Jimmy was just sixteen, making his mother always surprised at the fact of his voluntary compliance.
On this particular Saturday Jimmie went in to promptly confess that he had carried on and went a little too far with one of the local girls.
The Priest asked:
- Was it Mary O’Rourke? Well, no father, and even if it was, I would never betray her and tell more about it.
- Well then, might it have been Kathleen O’Doul?
- Well, no father, and like I just said, even if it were I would still be bound to protect her honor.
- Oh for sure it must have been Peggy Flannery, then?
- Ah, no again father, and even if it was I could never ruin her good reputation by divulging the name.
- OK, then Jimmie. You’re a good boy for the most part and a very honorable lad to protect your little girlfriend like such, but as you know, the Church sincerely frowns upon such friendly and familiar sexual activity outside the bounds of matrimony. So out with you then and here’s your penance…
Jimmy left the booth and when he saw his friend Sean kneeling in the front pew asked:
- So what did you get Sean?
- God. A murderous penance of three Rosaries and six Acts of Contrition. And what about you, Jimmy boy? What was your holy bloody penance?
- Well, I would say just about twice the same as you. But it was very well worth it indeed, ya know.
- Be Jesus. Six Rosaries? And just how do you figure that one out to be worth anything but a blinkin’ torture for sure, Jimmy me boy?
- Because, even though I got fairly and doubly worse the same damnable penance as you did, Sean… I also got meself quite a few damn good leads.
The Papal Version
Several nun novitiates, all in their late teens and early twenties were standing in the church sacristy waiting for final instructions from their supervising Priest before the final sacrament would install them as servants of God.
The Priest stood in front of a large cistern filled with Holy water and pontificated:
- Now my dear women, you know that when the ring is placed on your hand it signifies your marriage to God, that you will forsake all others in his name and that those same hands will always be busy doing his good work. So this will be your final confession before the sacrament and your last chance to purify your soul before you take this final step. With that said, I shall ask you all once again to confess any potential former secular sexual indiscretions you may have had so that you might be fully forgiven, chaste and truly virginal like our Holy Mother Mary when you take the vows. Sister to be Theresa; what have you to say?
- Well father. Once I thought about touching a boy on his penis but I never in fact did it.
- Ah. That is only a sin of intention, not action, so come here and I will place some Holy Water on your brow and your impure thought is now to be cleansed. Now to you Sister to be Kathleen.
- Well father. Once I sat in the back seat of a car and I touched a boy on the tip of his penis but that was it I swear to God and it frightened me so then I made him take me straight away to home.
- All right then go over to the cistern and dip the offending finger in the Holy Water, rub it off and be on your way.
- And next to you Sister to be Maria.
- Father. I must confess. I once masturbated a boy to orgasm.
- And do you happen remember which one was the offending hand, my dear.
- No Father, I don’t.
- Then go to the cistern, dip both hands in, cover the hands completely with Holy Water and rub them together to expunge the sin.
With that, Mary Alice, who was standing immediately second in line behind the next of the potential interrogates, Eileen, jumped out ahead of her, pointed to poor Eileen and said:
- Listen to me good father. If you think for one second I’m gonna gargle with that shit after she sits in it, you got your fuckin’ head screwed on upside down.
(As told by Gina Davis in the Movie: Angie)